2010-02-27

Valentines day engagement announcements

All of the week before valentines day, and most of that weekend too, we were working on these cards. It's been years since I've let a project get the better of me so completely as this one did. It was a huge long project, with one complication after another, and in the end, we made more compromises that I really like to. Not as much bang for my buck as I usually like to get, effort wise.

But looking back a couple of weeks later, people seem really touched by them for the most part, and I am always a fan of the hand made and personalized. So I am glad we stuck it out, and I am really glad if it made you happy.

Our table still looks like this! But, I kind of like it in a weird way. Tea, paint, flowers, rulers, cutting mats, paper, bright colors, a heard of fine Japanese pens. These are things that make me happy.



The stencil, envelope lining, and envelopes. The only envelope that fit the cards came from Paper zone (a really awesome paper warehouse - you've got to check it out if you live in the Seattle area), and they were clear. So, we lined them :)


I liked thinking about people as we were making them & what they might like.


This was the original idea more or less, before compromise #27. They were meant to be paper dolls - revisiting the lords & ladies, combining them for v-day. I do still really love this idea, but cutting out intricate braids with an exacto knife through 3 layers of thick water color was not a realistic option. Maybe we'll come back to it some day, and find a better way to make it work. Especially now that we know where the paper zone is, and have access to a whole new world of materials :)

2 comments:

Kate Sessions said...

If you wanted, we have a laser-cutter here at the school (White Stag building) that would make quick work of cutting these out!

Melissa Logan said...

Oh, Kate, where were you last February! We looked around at laser-cutters, and they were not cheap. But, it would have been the perfect solution!

I think I'm doing fabric wedding invitations, but if I change my mind, I might look you up ;)