2010-02-16

Proposing finale: A partidge in a pear tree

The morning of Sat, Feb 6th, I made Erik go out for a bike ride first thing. I had already prepped the supplies to make my pear, I just needed a few hours to do some sewing and embroidering. I had to separate the embroidery thread to get the beak and feet so teeny, but I really love how it all turned out - this was my favorite gift. I love the creams, neutrals, dusty purples and too-bright aqua pins. I would love to make something else in this pallet!





When he got back, I got ready to go out. I may have fussed a bit too much with the outfit - when I get worked up about anything, I tend to focus on some random detail. But Erik was patient, and put up with a lot of shoe/dress/tights options. I didn't realize it until after we left the house - but we matched the two turtle doves perfectly. I wore a navy blue dress, dark purple cardi, and layered periwinkle and mauve sheer floral tights (that wound getting us a bit of attention while we were out). And he was a hair warmer than the little grey bird, in a very light dull brown... but close enough to make me smile.

I had had some trouble finding a ring to go with this final gift. I bought a ring sizer online, and was going to buy a ring online too - but the sizer never came, even when I prompted the seller, and she resent the package. So I grabbed a ring we had lying around that I thought fit him (I was wrong! But he wore it anyway), something I could match to a sweeter ring, and tried to squeeze in a couple of shopping trips between all of the crafting. I wasn't having much luck, and thought about browsing at pike's that Saturday as a last resort. If I needed to sneak off to buy something, I could always tell him I was going to the fabric store. That morning I changed my mind, and decided I was done fussing with the project, and wanted to spend such a perfect day more present with Erik.

I tucked the old ring into the box, stuck the box in my bag, and we headed out. He hadn't gotten my little sister Asha a birthday present yet, and was a little late, so we were going to do some last minute shopping at the market. It was the perfect day - sunny and warm, flowers were blooming a bit. We found some gifts I think she'll really love, and we grabbed some snacks to go for the ferry.

We wound up on a sunset ferry, on a really remarkable evening. The bay was glassy, the sky a bright violet.



I gave him the box, with the little package of cards on the top. Even as he was looking through the cards, he still wasn't getting it. I had to point out that the pictures matched up with his gifts. He was so funny! I think when he realized, he was so overwhelmed he almost felt a little bad, and said "I can't believe you did all this for me sweetie." But he took my hands, and said yes.


We wound up shuffling around until we were sitting next to each other on the same side of our little ferry booth, holding hands. We were quiet for just a moment, and then the intercom broke in. The ferry's captain announced that someone had just gotten engaged on the boat. We looked at each other shocked - how did they know? Until we realized the names they mentioned belong to someone else, and we both laughed.

When we got home that night, we found the ring-sizer in the mail.







1 comment:

nudibranchs and toast said...

it all sounds so perfect (even you tights which I would love to see!) and the pictures from the ferry look magical with the lights appearing in the sky above the bay... congrats again!