2010-02-09

The ring

I was going to wait to tell the story of the ring until the last post, but people have been asking, and it's hard not to answer. So, here goes.

I said that something happened on the morning of our anniversary, that made me decide to start that day. Well, this was it. I had just finished the drummers cd, and it was a bit rushed. I was thinking about waiting a week, until the start of February, and having the 12 days end on Valentines day instead. It would have given me a bit more time to prep, and take care with some of the gifts.

But, I had so much momentum at that point, I felt I could hardly wait to make each thing, give each gift... and soon, finally tell Erik what was going on. I was walking to work that morning, texting my friend Rosei (I had to have a couple of confidants), to tell her I thought I was going to go ahead, and start the proposal that night. As I was typing this, I noticed something glittering just beyond the phone. There, on the floor of the arboretum, in the muck, was this ring.




It was a bit mangled, but it looks and feels quite real - and high quality, too. It's not exactly the ring I would have designed for myself, but it's in a style I love quite a bit - low set, vintage charm, on the simple side, love the gold and engravings. I always wanted a vintage ring with history. And above all, it fit PERFECTLY. I had to hammer it back into shape a bit - it's very tough. But now I can barely feel it when it's on, and it's secure - it won't fling off if I shake my hand. In fact, Erik has been a little jealous. I got the size wrong on his ring, and it's been irritating him a bit.

I personally don't draw any conclusions from coincidences like this, but I was still very blown away. It all felt very right, like it was just one more piece of this whole experience clicking into place.

I haven't 100% decided to keep it as my ring.... And we have checked craigslist, and street posts near the area, in case someone is looking for the ring (there isn't a place with a lost and found in the area). But I haven't seen any sign. It's an area that really only bikes, cars, and runners pass through, so I'm guessing if someone dropped it, they didn't know it until it was too late for them to be sure where they lost it.

So what do you think? Do you like it? Or should I go back to my original plan - a very delicate but organic hammered gold ring, with a natural rose cut grey diamond (cruelty free) in a low set bezel? Do you think it's weird to wear someone else's ring, or a ring I didn't pick out myself? I've been thinking it over quite a bit, and am curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Personally I love that you found it. It may not be the ring of your dreams but somehow I think that makes it better. Of course it is your decision, but I think it is lovely and I think the story is too.<3