2010-02-16

A little info about wedding planning

I have been amazed by 2 things over the last week. The first is how many people love Erik and I, and the lovely things they've had to say to both of us. The second, is that the first question everyone has is whether we've set a date... Even when it was only two days after the engagement. Don't most people find a venue first? I'm confused about this.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad everyone is excited for our wedding! I am too. I was in fact worried that people wouldn't care much, since we dated for so long first. And, mostly, I was dead wrong. So thank you for asking :)

But, it's going to be a little while. With the economy as it is, and our somewhat expensive house, and a bit too much traveling, and no trust fund for this sort of thing, we're going to have to save our money carefully. And if you want to make a little donation to the wedding fund for holiday and birthday presents, that is very much an option.

The loose plan is to gather ideas and save money during 2010. Hell, I've been gathering ideas from creative and lovely weddings for a long long time, so this isn't terribly different. Somewhere around the new year, we work out a budget, and start making decisions. I love the idea of an august wedding in 2011 - but that is an idea, not a decision :) In the mean time, here are a few ideas I thought you might like to hear about:

My dad suggested this lavender farm we visited last summer - you can rent out the whole house, and the lavender farms are filled with a wonderful light refreshing scent of lavender. These are a couple of pictures I took while we were there:





Or we could have a windy wedding, on Kite Hill. With billowy bridesmaid dresses, kite flying, and ribbons for kids.



And decoration themes perhaps in fruit,



and paper.







Both of which are things that Erik and I love, would allow us to be very creative, and would be inexpensive!

I already want to make everything myself :) I know I'm going to have to pick and choose my projects carefully! There are so many good ones, and eventually, there will be so little time. I will probably wind up doing as much on my own as I can, and spending all of our saved up money on flowers, food, and a venue.

There are a few things I can tell you that are certainites. For many good reasons, it will be a small wedding. I'd really love to invite everyone, but I know myself and Erik, and this is going to have to be an itty bitty one. The second is that it will be somewhere outside - in the pudget sound area. Washington, or perhaps Canada. The fourth is the time of year. It will be sometime when flowers are in season. I am a plant junkie, and I am totally willing to let my addiction run the show. The fourth is that it will be awesome. Otherwise, why bother?

Wedding website to come, in the following months. Stay tuned!

No comments: