2009-05-21

Dogwood : The new cherry

This spring has been all about the dogwood for me. I find them much more interesting than cherries, or plums. True, their petals do not snow down upon the sidewalk. And their pink is not quite so delicate. But I find the blossoms more interesting, and the leaves behind them too. Have you ever looked at a cherry leaf? They are really on the plain side - and in the case of plum, on the muddy side too. Plum leaves grow up to be that burgundy color, so when they are young, they are an odd mix of red and green... But the dogwood leaf is majestic. And who can resit their strange buds? like fingers grasped, waiting to open.




2 comments:

Steph Wright said...

And in the case of the Kousa, at least, they have really cool fruit in the fall.

Melissa Logan said...

I just looked up a kousa, and it kind of blew my mind. I've seen those trees in fruit, and in flower, but I never knew they were the same tree!