2011-12-05

Marsupials, ho

I've decided to resurrect my long neglected blog, to talk about our experiences with sugar gliders. Many people have asked us questions about them, and I understand why. The information on the web is wildly conflicting! If you do a YouTube search for sugar glider, these are the top two hits:


When we first saw these, we weren't sure what to think. I was intrigued enough not to give up right away, and decided to read a little more. Its true that they require a special diet, and lots of love and attention, they do make noise if they are lonely or depressed, and they are smart enough to get in trouble if left out of their cage unsupervised. They can not be potty trained. And still, the more I read, the more I was hooked. I think most people get into trouble thinking that because they are small and furry, they are like small rodents. The appeal for me, is that they are very much not like small rodents. They are smarter, more social, much more curious, and live five times longer. Have I mentioned that I have a life long obsession with marsupials? Seriously, they are so cool, and so weird.

Eventually, I became convinced that Erik and I could make it work. Convincing Erik took a bit longer... But here we are. We've bought this beautiful pair. We will pick them up on Wednesday afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes! And post a lot of pictures :)



1 comment:

Jess said...

yipeeeeeeee!!!!!