2011-02-02

Thirteen birds for Asha

I wanted Asha's thirteenth birthday to be memorable. It's a big land mark, and she's a very mature and talented young woman. She really is growing up.

Last summer, Asha came up to visit for a week. We had a great time adventuring around capitol hill. One thing we both spent a lot of time thinking, and talking about was Pigeons. Pigeons are really kind of awesome if you think about it. The are fat, lazy, friendly, and they always wiggle their heads when they walk. Can you imagine anything cuter?

Ever since then, Asha has been interested in birds. So I thought it would be cool to get her thirteen gifts - one for each year she's been my sister & friend - and make each one bird themed. Some of them I made my self, or assembled myself, others I bought. I put a lot of thought into each and every one.


White & gold ring holder, from Anthropologie




Hand illustrated plate, from LoucheLab



Cabochon bird earrings. Can't wait to see these on!



A pretty little feather ring




Stamps for things that require bird-decorations



Stationary, envelopes, note cards & erasers from Daiso. The creamy one with green leaves has the cutest pigeon ever on it.



There were too many good fabrics. I was able to narrow it down to pink bird fabric.



A make your own felt bird kit. I bought the pattern, and assembled it myself, with valentines colors for the upcoming holiday.




Similar idea here. A bird cross stitch pattern, with all of the necessary supplies. I gave her enough colors to do three different color themes, or mix and match :)




Maybe everyone needs a vintage bird poster for their room.



Letter press no. 1, from Dutch Door. These art prints are spendier than letter press cards, but they are totally worth it. Very high quality paper, impeccable registration, beautiful design.



Letter press no. 2.








And last but not least, a large printed version of this picture. I took this picture, and this is the flock of pigeons near my house, that Asha first fell in love with.

1 comment:

nudibranchs and toast said...

!!!!!!!!!!

I may have to make a trip to anthropologie. Also I have the same bird poster (love!!) and the fabric? and well... everything!

Here is another of my favorite birds, pigeon-esq, but the best of the best coo sound: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Dove/sounds